Each family is required to do 40 hours of service (20 hours for single parent families). (A single parent family is defined as a family with one parent being financially and physically responsible for the child).
Service Hours will now be recorded on-line as well as a description of the service given. Please, be very specific in your description of the service given. Service hours may only be reported by the parents/guardians of the students. Hours worked by students, siblings, family members, etc. may not be recorded. Please remember, hours not recorded are not credited. You are responsible for entering your service hours on-line.
The Service Hour Program runs from June 1st through May 31st of each year. Service hours performed during the summer months, including the Festival, are counted toward the next school year.
Service hours fall into two categories: school and parish. Work in areas other than these does not count toward your service hour obligation.
Special circumstances and exceptions to the attached guidelines will be reviewed by the appropriate members of the School Commission. Please submit requests, questions and concerns in writing to the School Commission, c/o Saint Pius School. This will enable the School Commission to administer these guidelines fairly and uniformly for all.
This program is very important to our parish and school. It helps keep costs down, is a wonderful outlet for your creative energy and is a great opportunity to discover some of the talents and gifts you never knew you had!
Service Hour Guidelines 2019-2020
- The Service Hour Program remains a school/parish service program; yet, at least fifty (50) percent of the total service hour requirement must be completed in projects specifically related to the school. A family may work all forty (40) hours in projects for the school.
- Material donations of $20.00 equal one service hour. Donated items must be new.
- Following Diocesan directives, there is a two tiered tuition. Any family not fulfilling their service hour commitment for the preceding school year will be charged a higher tuition.
- Yard duty will count toward service hours. Each yard duty equals 1.5 service hours and is credited to the person who physically works the yard duty.
- Only parish scout troop leaders may record up to a maximum of ten total hours for scouting.
- Participation in adult education courses (such as RCIA, baptismal training, Financial Peace, marriage encounter) does not count toward service hours.
- Hours may not be transferred between individuals.
- Hours may not be banked from one year to another.
- Coaches, assistant coaches and official scorekeepers may count all coaching time toward service hours.
- A donation of baked goods is equal to one service hour per home baked item (not store bought). For example, one hour per batch of cookies, brownies, etc. (batch equals 2 dozen), one hour per cake, pie, etc. Any store bought donations will be credited as material donations. (See item 2, above.) Donations of baked goods/snacks for Day Care may only be made with prior approval of the Day Care Director and may not exceed 5 hours.
- Attendance at Men's Club Board, Women's Club Board, PTG Board and School Commission meetings does count toward service hours as does attendance at PTG General Meetings. Attendance at Men's Club and Women's Club General Meetings does not count.
The above Service Hour Guidelines are reviewed annually.
List of Services For Service Hours
If you have any questions regarding service hours, please call the school office at 368-8327